Thursday, August 2, 2012

Keeping Long Distance Friends Closer

We all have those friends that live further away than we would like, and sometimes those friendships suffer because of the distance. Because let's be honest, Facebook is no way to keep a friendship alive.

Having one of my best friends living more than 2 hours away isn't easy, but we manage to hang out whenever I'm in town, which helps. Phone calls and texts sent back and forth help too. But something dawned on me last time I went shopping with her. A woman standing next to us, looking at the same rack, piped up and spoke to me, asking if I could be her friend too. It was all in jest, but I guess my comments to my friend Jolene were overheard.

I'm a very supportive friend I supposed, and whenever someone I know gets to feeling bad about themselves, I'm the first one telling them otherwise. I'm the one who says, "You don't need to change, the rest of the world just needs to learn how amazing you are." I said something similar to Jolene, and the woman overheard me. I guess supportive friends is something a lot of people lack in their lives.

Not the fake, "Oh, that top looks great on you!" friend, the real,"No, that top looks horrible, whoever thought of horizontal stripes on a plus sized girl was an idiot. We need to find something to better show off those awesome curves, and put a smile back on your pretty face!" friend. Because supportive means honest, no matter what it is about.

Since I can't always be with my bestie, I thought I would send her a care package (to be posted about later), and top it off with a handmade card. But inside the card, I put some little motivational cards that she can hang up in her house, put in her wallet, etc. Wherever she needs them for a daily pick me up. The cards say things like, "Wake up everyday, ready to kick ass and take names." and other things to remind her that she's amazing, and the world is lucky to have her.


I think sending the occasional thing like this, filled with love and friendship, really help to strengthen the bond between friends, and make a relationship even stronger across such a distance. This takes only a few minutes to make, and a few cents to send, so why not whip something up for that long distance friend, and let them know that they're still special to you?

Love and Lightning Bugs,
  Photobucket

11 comments:

Stacey @ Couponing with Boys said...

Will you be my friend? I need more friends like you! I understand about friends living far away though, I have friends who are in PA that I grew up with (I'm in NC now), and when I got married, I moved 2 hours away from the town I went to high school in, so I'm not very close to those friends, or my parents anymore. I love my husband's friends, but most of the people we know have small children, I have a 13yr old & 12yr old along with my 6yr old and we just don't know many people who have kids as old as ours, most of our age group are still out partying and not ready to settle down :)

Jessica said...

Wow, that is so sweet! I am not close to any of my friends, it makes things hard!

Unknown said...

Aww, I remember that day! That lady definitely put a smile on our faces, and it's true! Everyone needs more friends like you! I'm so lucky & privileged to say that you are, most definitely, one of my very bestest friends! Love ya chica! :-)

Mommyknowz said...

Awe you are super sweet to do that for your friend!! It is hard to keep your friends when you or they are not near each other!!

Lesley said...

I love the idea! That is really nice of you :)

Unknown said...

this is such a great idea! I joined the military and left home a while ago, so I have several friends I've left behind. Plus new friends I made and then left behind again. I always wish there was more I could for them to let them know I care. I'm definitely going to be trying something like this! Thanks!

Unknown said...

I just wrote a letter to my best friend today. I have not seen her in over 10 years; we hadn't even spoken in almost that long when last year, we found each other on Facebook. And we haven't lost touch again. She goes back and forth between Montana and Southeast Texas, and I am stationary in West Texas. Somehow, our friendship wasn't effected by the years between. We picked up right where we left off. It's the best thing on Earth, a friendship like that. :)

Mama Luvs Books said...

Most of my friends are long distance because I've moved to 5 different States in the past 13 years!!! I love that technology helps keep us close! GREAT post and ideas!!!

Unknown said...

What a great idea. I bet she really appreciated it.

LOVE MELISSA:) said...

I love that idea! That is so sweet of you!!

Alyssa McVey said...

One of my best friends lives 13 hours away. I love the care package you sent! As a plus-sized girl I know how depressing it is to go clothes shopping. I'm going to have to steal your idea!